Skip to main content

The Gulf War of 1991

I too remember very well the moment when my dad woke me up that night to see the images of the bombing on TV. I too still feel anger and hatred towards that barbarism of the "said democracies" as Antoon put it.  I feel more anger now when I remember and read about what followed: the sanctions, the invasion and occupation, the civil war, ISIS, the indifference and complicity, the hypocrisy and denial...

"Watching one’s country and hometown get destroyed sears one’s soul and psyche forever. Those years showed me how barbarism was at the heart of our modern world. Not the barbarism of dictatorship, the barbarism of western liberal democracies, delivered through remote-control and watched comfortably by the citizens of said democracies."

An interview with the Iraqi novelist Sinan Antoon


Comments