Skip to main content

Wikipedia and Censorship

Why I stopped contributing to wikipedia

I have edited some sections on wikipedia, but I have particularly created new ones, especially sections related to the Arab uprisings:
  • added the last part that begins with "contrary to ..." in this section.
  • and the last two sections: "The Arab Spring: reform or revolution" and "Space and the city in the Arab uprisings".
  • added more info to "Symbols, slogans and songs" section and created "Commentary" section for Algeria 2019 protests page.
  • On "Humna rights in Egypt" page I created "International complicity" section.

When I edited the war in Yugoslavia page and there was a copyright issue, my editing was removed, but I was informed and an explanation was given.

But it seemed that I touched a taboo when I edited Gadi Eizenkot's page, using only two mainstream sources: Haaretz newspaper and the Goldstone report, a United Nations Human Rights Council well-known publication.

Goldstone report quoted Eizenkot saying on the 2008-2009 assault on Gaza:
[w]hat happened in [Dahiye] will happen in every village from which Israel is fired on. […] We will apply disproportionate force on it and cause great damage and destruction there. From our standpoint, these are not civilian villages, they are military bases. […] This is not a recommendation. This is a plan. And it has been approved.
This was called a Dahiya Doctrine.

My editing of Eizenkot's page was removed and for about a month now I have received no explanation.

As of 26 July 2023 I am still blocked from editing wikipedia.

Comments