“Many are arguing that Al Jazeera is an independent, journalistic entity that is not in the business of producing opinion-led or biased content. I would question that premise. Today, Al Jazeera, with its various global operations, is designed to cater to a range of different audiences. It is such a large operation that it has begun to segment its audiences and market shares. Al Jazeera Arabic and Al Jazeera English have their own distinct audiences, discourses, editorial policies, and red lines. Al Jazeera Arabic has long catered to right-wing communities in the Middle East, crafting specific messaging to a conservative market share. Meanwhile, Al Jazeera English speaks to a more diverse, cosmopolitan, and progressive audience. Even so, I would say that Al Jazeeraas a whole has begun to venture right. This is an important factor that anglophone readers and viewers—and even Al Jazeera English’s staff to a certain extent—do not realize.”
I think hard times are coming, when we will be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now, and can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies, to other ways of being. And even imagine some real grounds for hope. We will need writers who can remember freedom: poets, visionaries— the realists of a larger reality . Right now, I think we need writers who know the difference between production of a market commodity and the practice of an art. The profit motive is often in conflict with the aims of art. We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable; so did the divine right of kings. … Power can be resisted and changed by human beings; resistance and change often begin in art, and very often in our art—the art of words. I’ve had a long career and a good one, in good company, and here, at the end of it, I really don’t want to watch American literature get sold down the river. ... The name of our beautiful reward is ...
Comments